Monday, February 20, 2006

Life goes on...

Over the past two years, not a day has gone by when I don’t think of Amna. If she were still here, I doubt I would’ve said that last sentence. It’s just so ironic how you really realise someone’s worth only when they’re no longer there with you.

We were getting to know each other a whole lot better during those days, but I still couldn’t be counted as one of her closest friends. But when she left, it drastically changed something in my life too. My perspective, I think. The way I looked at death altered overnight, and the value and certainty of life almost faded away for a long time. It’s been quite a while but the effect hasn’t completely gone. It won’t. Ever. Seeing death, feeling it, hearing about it no longer affects me in the same way. It’s not that the fear is gone, or the sorrow. But it’s just a very different feeling deep down. It can’t really be described.

There are so many regrets in life, but one of the greatest is not having spent more time with Amna when she was still here. Sometimes I unconsciously feel that if I’d known her better, been a better friend, felt her misery earlier…maybe none of this would have happened. Maybe. I know it’s an illogical, irrational, senseless feeling but sometimes it still lingers.

Thinking about Amna would always make me cry until I realised that she’s probably happier up there…wherever she is. That’s what I’m going to choose to believe. And pray. Even if I’m not sure these days if I believe in the miracle of prayer, she might have believed. Remembering her is now peaceful, not sad. And Amna, if you look down on us sometimes I hope you know that netball isn’t half as much fun without you! ;)

As they say, life still goes on. So it does. And it always will. The world doesn’t stop for anyone’s misery ‘cause if it did time would come to a standstill. Even my life hasn’t stopped. But memories live on even if people don’t…they may be merciless and torturous often, but sometimes they’re all you have to hold on to. And when you’re helpless, sometimes you’ll hold on to the weakest link you have. And that’s what I’m going to do tonight.

15 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

curiousity killed the cat and it threatens to claim another deranged lunatic...:)...beautiful post...absolutely no words to describe what wrath you unleashed upon me...i'm shuddering...waisai deep deep down you do believe in the miracle of prayer...you need to explore on those lines...khair...welcome to my world...i've duly added you as a 'self proclaimed lunatic' unless you tell me your name :P which i'm hoping aint a deranged lunatic...or maybe it does suit you...take care...and i bet Amna is at peace with herself up there...

February 20, 2006 10:05 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

oops...did i say anything about the two missing comments...hehe

February 20, 2006 10:05 AM  
Blogger Blink said...

i knw yaar..i was in a depressed state of mind but they ae funny if u kwn the lyrics fo the adds..
for ur benfit
Mobile Zone:
Listen the ring
Listen the tone
Heart is beating
into the phone
its ur choice
its ur phone
Mobile Zone

United Mobile:
Haathon main aatey hi
Awaz aatey hi
(man voice) Halloooo
(woman again) hum huey aapkey!!

now go n read my post again!@

February 20, 2006 11:32 AM  
Blogger Blink said...

waisey u knw..i remember how everyone was cring tht day...it enver really hit me...maybe i was too young!!
but somehow noww ive grown over-snsitive to such things!

February 20, 2006 11:33 AM  
Blogger Sadaff said...

i feel every word you said:(

February 21, 2006 10:39 AM  
Blogger mh said...

*hug

February 21, 2006 3:39 PM  
Blogger Shiza M. said...

oo00ooh before naything else..i want to thank you for how you hav put my name in your list...future politician..*wipes tear*
wow!
you made my dayyyy..
and i am back from isb already.:)

*sigh*
its good that i am too happy too let the sadness in your post get to me..

February 21, 2006 5:32 PM  
Blogger mh said...

naik sopho: mugambo khush hua ;)

February 22, 2006 1:43 AM  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

That was a very heart felt tribute to your friend. I'm sure she is looking down and smiling.

February 25, 2006 1:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love your blog so-o-o much

February 25, 2006 4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yaar do you know who has sung the newer version of 'Total Eclipse of the Heart'?

February 25, 2006 4:29 PM  
Blogger Reeny said...

Hmm, I don't remember where I was or how I heard the news but I remember being completely shocked and felt helpless for maybe the same reasons you do. I don't know. I wasn't Amna's friend but we knew each other and we've had our moments. I remember her so clearly. I still don't know what happened. Can you please email me?

This post has brought back so many memories.

February 25, 2006 4:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your wishes!

And i have heard two versions of that song, the latest one you mentioned I havent. I truly love it. Any idea where i could get to listen to this latest offering?

February 26, 2006 11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

testinggg

March 22, 2006 3:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
»

May 16, 2006 7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home