Monday, May 08, 2006

It was all an oddity in one sense. Dialogues loud enough to blast your ear-drums, tissues stuffed in ears in a desperate attempt to muffle the sharpness of the sound… old men hobbling across the seats with walking sticks, air-conditioners going on and off every few minutes off their own accord, uncles and aunties with silver-gray hair leaning towards one another every now and then to exchange some comment…a short chuckle over some joke, perhaps…an intimate moment of privacy in that simple gesture made in the midst of, but untouched by, the huge world swallowing them up.

A movie from over 40 years ago. A story passed down through decades, and I still find it extremely absurd. Cinematography, direction, lighting and even acting still soaring high above contemporary cinema. And the music! Work of a master-class, undoubtedly…beautiful and spell-binding for the most.

Yet, my interest wavered ever so frequently. The day took its toll and I almost dozed off unconsciously several times.

The love shown may have meant to be magical but, strangely enough, it failed to touch me. The willing sacrifice of a life for a beloved somehow seemed unreal – more like martyrdom than real love. It wasn’t relatable, it didn’t strangle. Nor even captivate. I still wonder why.

My eyes closed for a brief respite and I expected to see the usual dark void behind the sheltered lids. Or, at most, I expected some random image to come forth into my mind. It didn’t. I was somewhat surprised, somewhat amused and somewhat lost. All I could perceive was that gray t-shirt… and those hands. The long fingers, so artistic and captivating – so beautiful that I knew I wanted to hold on to that hand and never let go. All I wanted was to clench that shirt, bury my head there and let go of all reality. Forget everything, even my own existence. Think of nothing, not even why I wanted that sanctuary. Stay there, with the person I was once at risk of falling in love with…stay there and never let go…never…never…

The moment seemed sacred in one sense, and scary in other…in parts, it was a revelation, in parts a mere absurdity. Yet the longing was there. The need did exist then.

Two days later, I have my memory of that image. It never existed, yet it was as real to reality as imagination could be. The image would pale in comparison to reality, I know, but reality can never occur.

I simply remember…and I smile.

15 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

for one...my criterion of respect does not revolve around worldly ranks...sometimes children surprise me with their straightforwardness...sometimes respect is imparted to a weird concoction of beings...thus i shall respect you...as i please...
SO QUIT MAKIN GENERALIZATIONS and lemme make my own decisions(P.S dont sound like my woman :P)
on a serious note i think your referrin to mughal e azam which i hadnt had the honor of watching specially on a big screen but your experience made me shudder as to what kind of an amazin experience it might have been..
and hey sometimes...
it's only when the pictures are erased...
your memory soiled...
that you find a real gem...
take care...
loved your latest post...
and hey you arent devoid of hope either...
take care

May 08, 2006 7:02 PM  
Blogger Saad said...

its funny how clothes form the basis for attatchment. and when you remember them they often appear in the same clothes. for me its lemony shalwarkameez hehe... and i can relate to the experience though i havent seen the movie... in the clash of the heart and the mind, you never know which way to go.. the heart seems so much better but we're thinking through the mind... confusing :S

May 10, 2006 11:59 AM  
Blogger Shiza M. said...

I wannna seee the movie tooo!!!

May 10, 2006 11:19 PM  
Blogger Shiza M. said...

And sorrry for not reading your posts, you have every rite to feel dissed but no seriously it was not intended.

May 10, 2006 11:20 PM  
Blogger Shiza M. said...

Yess and me loved the feel of the post...you actually took me there:)

May 10, 2006 11:21 PM  
Blogger Shiza M. said...

Oh and gray shirt..hmmm
*raises eyebrow*
and i have no idea why i am saying all of this in different comments..its the friggin olevels i tell you.
Teacher Ghazalas voice ringing in my head 'Leave three lines after every question and draw a line across the page.':p

May 10, 2006 11:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WoW! Breathtaking post! Can so relate to some of it.
And yes i am in Sharjah now and i too am beginning to find these blogspot shenanigans absurdly amusing now.

May 11, 2006 12:15 PM  
Blogger Shiza M. said...

Yaar urdu 2 went awesome..and islamiat 1 was okay i am not sure if i am getting an A but I have islamiat 2 on Monday and i am hopping ill be able to make up for it.
and gray shirt.. i mean i noe who you could be talking about but not exactly sure:)

May 11, 2006 12:48 PM  
Blogger Reeny said...

what bakwas man! but im blogging this time!! dude. can you email me. or come here and explain what u said abt philo haha. i didnt understand. epistomology ki kaun si readings hain?

May 13, 2006 3:05 AM  
Blogger Reeny said...

i mean go to my blog haha

May 13, 2006 3:06 AM  
Blogger Blink said...

Isalmiyat on monday...
i somehow am in a hihgly blah mood...which is totally un-related to the examss as everyone is apt to thinkkk....
*sigh*
i think ill just kill myself!!

May 13, 2006 1:04 PM  
Blogger Reeny said...

i linked you finally! ab ja ker sidebar update kia hay. also, i replied to your comment. thanks. you're a sweetheart! :) tum apni ammi per gai ho hahahahaha

May 13, 2006 4:14 PM  
Blogger Reeny said...

so go to my blog.

May 13, 2006 4:14 PM  
Blogger Blink said...

get ready for some major whining rabia malik!!!!!!!1

May 15, 2006 8:57 PM  
Blogger Zakintosh said...

great imagery ;-)

August 07, 2006 3:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home